Autonomy Mastery and Purpose
Date: Sunday, November 27th, 2011 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Tim Murphey
Daniel Pink in his book DRIVE (2009) writes about how education and business have not kept up with research finding on motivation. Yes, we still sometimes are motivated by the old carrot and stick (positive reinforcement and threat of punishment) but more and more we are seeing people acting altruistically and irrationally refusing the carrots and not caring about the sticks. I will talk about ways to tap into these new ways of conceiving motivation and give examples in education.
Bio: Tim Murphey (PhD Universit de Neuchtel, Switzerland, in Applied Linguistics) TESOL's Professional Development in Language Education series editor, co-author with Zoltan Drnyei of Group Dynamics in the Language Classroom, author of Music and Song, Teaching One to One, Language Hungry! and a novel about Japan's entrance exam system, The Tale that Wags. He presently researches Vygotskian socio cultural theory (SCT) applications with particular emphasis on student voice, agency, identity, and community construction. For more information about him, please visit his homepage.
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kyoiku Kaikan, on Miyuki Dori, the main street north from Shizuoka Station map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: