ELT and the Science of Happiness (followed by End of Year Party)
Date: Sunday, December 11th, 2011 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Marc Helgesen
Positive, motivated students -- engaged in what they are studying and with each other -- learn more. How do we facilitate that positive attitude in the language classroom? This activity-based session looks at ways positive psychology (TIME magazine calls it "The Science of Happiness") can be combined with clear language learning goals for active, invested learning. This is more than "positive self-talk". It is sharing with our students the concrete behaviors that happy people engage in. A handout of 20 positive psychology ELT activities will be provided. :-)
Marc Helgesen, Professor, Miyagi Gakuin Women's University, Sendai is the author of over 150 ELT articles, books and textbooks. He has been an invited speaker to conferences on 5 continents.
After the meeting, we will have our annual end-of year-party at a restaurant nearby (reservations are not necessary).
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kyoiku Kaikan map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: