Equipping Teachers to Incorporate Drama
Date: Saturday, March 10th, 2012 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Covenant Players Drama Company
The aim of this workshop is to equip teachers to utilize and incorporate drama in the classroom. The workshop is based on our English Language Communication Program (ELCP) that we are using in schools for ESL students.
ELCP is based on the concept that creative involvement circumvents inhibitions about speaking a foreign language and allows the free flow of previously studied vocabulary, grammatical structure and correct accent. The greatest barrier to a student's progress in a second language is self-consciousness: inhibitions cause hesitation, shyness and learning blocks in using the language as a spoken communication. A student may be very successful in the written portion of language study and yet be prevented from effective use of the language in listening and speaking because of those inhibitions. Covenant Players' repertoire of plays and exercises are designed to involve the student, so that the use of the language is most important and the awareness of self is minimized.
It should be remembered that the ELCP is a resource for teachers of English, not a substitute for full-time English instruction. Covenant Players is an International Drama Company, committed to communication -- to the value of the spoken word to educate, to break barriers, to encourage growth, and to promote self-esteem.
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kitakyushu International Conference Centre, 3F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: