Serious Fun: Creativity in the Classroom
Date: Saturday, January 14th, 2012 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Chris Stillwell (Sojo International Language Center, Kumamoto)
Placing typical language learning objectives in creative contexts can provide an element of surprise and discovery that enhances students‚ motivation and makes lasting impressions. Examples of creative activities will include a disrupted lesson that provides students with an unexpected and humorous opportunity to develop storytelling skills, fluency development exercises that draw from secrets of improvisational comedy, and experiments that engage learners to discover language talents they never knew they had.
Chris Stillwell is assistant director of the Sojo International Language Center in Kumamoto, Japan. He has taught English as a Second/Foreign Language for 17 years and has also worked as a teacher trainer at Teachers College, Columbia University. He is interested in collaborative professional development and creative approaches to language instruction, and he has written several chapters and journal articles on these topics.
Organization: Oita Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Oita JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Oita Prefectural Shakai Kyouiku Sougou Centre, 1st Seminar Room, Beppu City map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Oita JALT
Email QR Code: