Cross-cultural Pragmatics and Communicative Competence
Date: Sunday, February 19th, 2012 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Megumi Kawate-Mierzejewska
This seminar aims to raise participants' awareness of cross-cultural pragmatic norms. A variety of speech acts will be explored such as apologizing, requesting, and refusing, to focus on the mismatches and inconsistencies in these acts between English and Japanese. Moreover, the seminar will focus on cross-cultural and intra-cultural misunderstandings, and the appropriate expressions/strategies of politeness. Lastly, it will introduce ways to teach pragmatics through consciousness-raising tasks, and how such activities address student motivation to learn.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kanagawa University (map and directions)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: