Text-to-Lesson: Online Resources for Vocabulary and Lesson-Making
Date: Sunday, February 26th, 2012 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Christine Winskowski, Morioka Junior College
Why is vocabulary so important? Applied linguist Paul Nation says that students must know 95% of a text's vocabulary to understand it. What should teachers know about vocabulary? What online tools can help us effectively develop vocabulary materials? Finally, how can we apply what we know, and develop a lesson module from a text?
In this session, online tools will be introduced and demonstrated to:
- Quickly identify useful vocabulary in a text - e.g. most frequent 1000 words, 2nd most-frequent 1000 words, and academic vocabulary;
- Show students common sentence contexts for vocabulary and vocabulary collocations in 10-100 (or more) lines of text;
- Find what vocabulary is shared by two texts; raise or lower the vocabulary "recycle rate" in the second text to target students' vocabulary learning;
- Develop a reading text into a lesson with customized exercises.
Join us and add some online tools to your instructional toolbox!
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen; 500 yen for full-time students
Venue: Aiina, Morioka, 6th Floor, Room 602
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: