Encouraging learner autonomy through peer feedback in the writing classroom
Date: Sunday, June 10th, 2012 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Jennie Roloff Rothman
Peer feedback is crucial for managing group dynamics, empowering effective writing and developing learner autonomy. By reflecting on the writing process and peer work, learners can improve their own writing skills while supporting that same development in their classmates. This support helps create a safe, mutually beneficial environment--a community of writers--where learning can flourish. This workshop introduces tools for fostering autonomy in writing and participants will have the opportunity to evaluate them in discussions. The workshop will conclude with participants reflecting on the applicability of the materials to their own contexts and sharing their own ideas for promoting peer feedback in the writing classroom.
Jennie Roloff Rothman received her MA in TESOL at Teachers College Columbia University, Japan campus. There she co-founded and still currently manages the TC Japan Writing Center. She is currently a senior lecturer in the English Language Institute at Kanda University of International Studies in Chiba, Japan. Her current teaching and research interests include writing, writing centers, use of peer feedback, learner autonomy and materials development.
This event is co-sponsored by the Yokohama JALT Chapter.
Organization: Hamamatsu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hamamatsu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Zaza City Palette, 5th Floor
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hamamatsu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 053-460-7956
Mobile phone: 090-9891-4844
This event is co-sponsored by: