The Japanese Primary and Secondary English Curriculum and Role of ALTs
Date: Saturday, July 21st, 2012 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Aaron Hahn
Since most JALT participants work at universities, the majority of JALT presentations and publications focus on post-secondary students. In order to better understand these students, this presentation will discuss both the official government-mandated English curriculum for public primary and secondary schools and the way that curriculum is actually implemented, especially at schools preparing students for entrance to universities. Specific attention will be paid to the substantial revisions to the curriculum which will take place in 2012 and 2013. In addition, the various roles that ALTs play in the overall curriculum will be examined.
Aaron Hahn is currently an ALT through the JET program working at Fukuoka Prefectural High School. He holds an MA in Rhetoric and Writing Studies: Teaching of Writing from San Diego State University, and a BA in Literature - Writing from the University of California, San Diego.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Change of venue: Room 5 of Hakata Bus Terminal Building (9F), in front of Hakata Station (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: