(1) Phonics Activities for Fun; (2) How to Introduce Phonics into Elementary Schools
Date: Sunday, April 22nd, 2012 Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Speaker: (1) Rumiko Kido (Sales Division Manager for mpi); (2) Buzz Green (Elementary school English teacher)
Phonics Activities for Fun
Rumiko Kido (10:00-10:50)
Phonics teaching is effective for teaching English to Japanese students because:
- The phonics method shows a consistency between English sounds and spelling.
- Students use only English letters to understand the system. Phonetic symbols and katakana are not used because they confuse the students.
- Phonics helps Japanese students to learn accurate pronunciation.
- Learning phonics helps students to become independent learners of English.
Students learn more when they do fun activities than when they just listen to explanations. In this workshop, let's share phonics activities for fun.
Rumiko Kido is the Sales Division Manager for mpi inc. which is also known as Matsuka Phonics Institute. She also runs teacher training workshops. She has written mpi QA-100/200 communication workbook for junior high school students. Currently she is the head of WE CAN! sales and marketing. WE CAN! is the unique course book authored by Yoko Matsuka and published by McGraw-Hill. Ms. Kido received her B.A. in Comparative Cultures from Sophia University, Tokyo.
How to introduce Phonics into elementary schools
Buzz Green (11:10-12:00)
Buzz Green teaches children from the age of 3 – 12 years old. She will be talking about how to introduce phonics into elementary schools. Starting from total beginners until the last year of elementary school, she will show us how she made her own curriculum. This presentation will be a hands on approach full of practical ideas, activities, website links, and 20 years of experience.
Buzz Green has been an English teacher for more than 20 years. She has been a private ALT in Ibigawa for nearly 11 years. She is also the Director of Membership for JALT.
After the presentations we will have a business lunch together. Members and non members are welcome to join us!
Organization: Himeji Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Himeji JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Himeji Dokkyo University, West Building, 3rd Floor, 33A map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Himeji JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 0792-92-8808