Workshop on Applying Conversation Analysis to Language Learning Contexts
Date: Saturday, June 16th, 2012 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: David Aline, Yuri Hosoda
In this meeting, we will present and discuss the application of Conversation Analysis (Sacks, Schegloff, & Jefferson, 1974) to language classroom practices. Conversation Analysis is fast becoming an important research method in many areas, including applied linguistics and language education. For the three-hour workshop, we will be providing background on Conversation Analysis for about 50 minutes, giving a 25-minute presentation of some of our current research on university task-based group discussions, and then for the remaining time we will hold a hands-on workshop to look closely at classroom interaction by applying concepts from Conversation Analysis.
David Aline earned his EdD from Temple University in 1999 and is a professor at Kanagawa University, Yokohama, Faculty of Foreign Languages, Department of Cross-Cultural Studies, and teaches psycholinguistics in the Graduate School of Foreign Languages. His research interests include second language acquisition and use in university, primary school, lingua franca, and tutorial settings through a conversation analytic perspective.
Yuri Hosoda received her EdD from Temple University in 2002 and is currently a professor in the Faculty of Foreign Languages, Department of Cross-Cultural Studies, and the Graduate School of Foreign Languages at Kanagawa University, Yokohama. Her research examines first and second language interaction in Japanese and English at university, primary school, work place, and mundane conversation through a conversation analytic perspective.
Organization: Okinawa Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okinawa JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Meio University Research Center, Nago, Okinawa
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okinawa JALT
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 098-895-8448
Mobile phone: 098-895-8304