Dyslexia and the Language Classroom
Date: Sunday, November 18th, 2012 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Seigo Yamada (Nagasaki Institute of Applied Science), Mark Tiedeman (Nagasaki University of Foreign Languages)
Seigo Yamada and Mark Tiedemann's talk aims to familiarize language teachers with dyslexia and its effects in the classroom. Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin and affects 10-20 per cent of the population. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition (decoding) and by poor spelling (encoding). These difficulties typically result in problems with reading comprehension that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Dejima Koryu Kaikan, 2-11 Dejimamachi, Nagasaki map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: