Enhancing Students' Motivation: Imagining an L2 Self
Date: Saturday, January 19th, 2013 Time: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Garold Murray (Okayama University)
This workshop will explore how teachers can apply Dörnyei's L2 Motivational Self System theory to their classroom practice in order to enhance their students' motivation. In the first part of the workshop, Garold Murray will provide a brief overview of the key constructs and situate the topic in the literature by outlining Norton's imagined communities and Dörnyei's L2 Motivational Self System. These theories suggest that teachers might enhance learners' motivation by helping them to develop and sustain visions of future selves as foreign language speakers and possible participants in target language communities.
The second part of the workshop will focus on ways to do this by providing participants with the opportunity to consider specific suggestions for classroom practice in relation to their own teaching context. In the third part of the workshop, participants will work together in small groups to produce activities designed to help students imagine themselves as speakers of the target language. Participants will leave the workshop with ideas and suggestions for activities that they can take back and continue to work with in their own teaching context.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Kannai Youth Center (under Kannai Hall), close to JR Kannai on the Negishi line (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: