Teaching Materials in EIL (English as an international language)
Date: Friday, June 28th, 2013 Time: 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Speaker: Aya Matsuda, Arizona State University
The global spread of English has resulted in varied forms and functions of the language as well as the diverse profile of English users. This presentation will explore what kind of teaching materials would help teachers bring the sociolinguistic complexity of English in today's world into their classroom. After a brief discussion of what it means to teach EIL, the presenter will suggest 5 criteria for evaluating materials, and present a 3-step process for supplementing materials along with some ideas for possible sources of supplemental materials.
Please RSVP to reserve your seat.
Organization: Tokyo Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Tokyo JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Sophia University, Yotsuya Campus, Building 11, room 419
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Tokyo JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: