Cooperative learning: Teaching that is as easy as 1-2-3-4
Date: Saturday, January 18th, 2014 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:45 PM
Speaker: Joel Laurier (Gunma Kokusai Academy)
Current reforms in the educational landscape are pushing toward a more student-centered approach to education. The talk is now of learning more than teaching. Cooperative Learning (CL) is a research based teaching pedagogy that provides an effective teaching approach, especially in language learning. Through interactive, task based activities, students learn to take control of their own learning. By making students the center of learning, the role of the teacher becomes that of a facilitator, reducing the need to rely on teacher-centered presentations. The classroom then becomes a place where students and teachers work together to create meaningful and fulfilling learning experiences. This hands on workshop will show how attendees how they can use CL to increase active participation between students, build confidence for teachers, and deliver more student-centered English lessons. Attendees will be shown effective CL structures that make learning the students' responsibility and facilitating the teacher's concern.
Organization: Yokohama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Yokohama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Yokohama Youth Centre, under Kannai Hall (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Yokohama JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: