Reassessing Grammar Assessment
Date: Sunday, July 6th, 2014 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Paul Kei Matsuda
In the field of second language writing, there has been much debate about the place of corrective feedback in writing instruction. While some argue that corrective feedback is not effective, if not harmful (Truscott, 1996), a growing body of research has shown that corrective feedback can facilitate L2 development to some extent. The effect, however, is still limited, and there is no guarantee that corrective feedback will lead to acquisition. This presentation shifts the debate from feedback to grading, arguing the need for corrective feedback ( in moderation) but arguing against grammar grading. Note: Dr. Matsuda will also be giving a public lecture in Japanese the previous day (Sat., July 5th), hosted by the Miyagi University of Education (宮城教育大学) Primary School English Education Research Center. Contact Manaka Tozuka (email, TEL/FAX: 022-214-3493) for details.
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for first-timers)
Venue: Sendai Shimin Activity Support Center, Seminar Hall 6F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: