Talk: Revisiting Mechanical Speaking Practices
Date: Sunday, July 27th, 2014 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Emiko Kaneko (University of Aizu)
In the English as a foreign language (EFL) context, learners only have limited exposure to naturally spoken English. They also have very few opportunities in which they use English naturalistically for oral communication. Considering the limited exposure to the target language and a large classroom size, speech repetition may be a useful practice for oral fluency development. Though traditionally repeating and drilling have negative connotations, more recent studies show that they have positive influence on learner oral proficiency. In this presentation, I will familiarize the audience with a series of oral dictation practice conducted in the University of Aizu and report how students' spontaneous speech (speaking without prior preparation) changes.
Organization: Iwate-Aomori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate-Aomori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for full-time students)
Venue: AIINA Room 602
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate-Aomori JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: