West Tokyo JALT:
Assessing Spoken Language
Date: Sunday, August 17th, 2014 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Darren Lingley (Kochi University)
This workshop will cover issues in assessing small group oral interaction. Participants will use rating scales (keeping the conversation going, quality of content, grammar/vocabulary intelligibility, and pronunciation intelligibility) to assess three sets of Japanese learners. In the assessment of spoken language, there is wide variation in how raters evaluate output, and how scales are interpreted. In this workshop, Darren Lingley will suggest ways to more consistently evaluate spoken interaction, and discuss some of the issues in assessing oral proficiency for placement purposes.
Darren Lingley is Professor of Intercultural Communication and Comparative Culture at Kochi University. He is the immediate past Editor of JALT Journal, the applied research journal of the Japan Association of Language Teachers, and currently serves as JALT Publications Board Chair.
Walking Directions from Odakyu Sagamiono Station:
- Exit Sagamiono Station North Exit
- Turn Right before Station Square Shopping Complex
- Turn Left at the courtyard and follow the covered walkway to Bono Sagamiono Stay on the 2nd floor of Bono Sagamiono
- Turn Left to the South Mall immediately after the SoftBank shop
- Take the escalator one floor up to the 3rd floor of the South Mall
- Unicom Plaza Sagamihara is next to the elevators
Organization: West Tokyo Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (West Tokyo JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Unicom Plaza Sagamihara, Seminar Room 1
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact West Tokyo JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: