Challenges to Achieving Communicative Competence in Japanese High School
Date: Sunday, October 12th, 2014 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Cory J. Koby (Sendai Shirayuri Gakuen High School)
Since 1989 Japan's Ministry of Education (MEXT) has suggested that communicative competence be the primary objective of English education at the secondary level. Although a quarter-century has passed, traditional teaching methodology still persists in the classroom, and Japanese English abilities continue to lag behind those of most other countries. This presentation will address the root causes of this disparity.
Cory Koby graduated from Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada with a BA in Law, and is currently completing his MA (ELT) at the University of East London. He is President of the Sendai chapter of JALT (Japan Association for Language Teaching). After a 20-year career in business, he moved to Japan 7 years ago and has been teaching communication and academic writing in high school ever since.
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Nagasaki City, Dejima Koryu Kaikan
Location: Nagasaki City, Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: