ACM Chapter on E-learning and Technical Communication:
Symposium on Language Learning beyond the EFL Classroom
Date: Saturday, November 8th, 2014 Time: 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Margaret Franken, University of Waikato, New Zealand; Yukie Koyama, Nagoya Institute of Technology; Stephen Hesse, Chuo University; Gordon Bateson, Kanazawa Gakuin University
The theme of this symposium is Language Learning beyond the EFL Classroom; it is sponsored by ACM Chapter on E-learning and Technical Communication and The University of Aizu.
The essential characteristic of English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teaching and learning, as compared with English as a Second Language (ESL), is that the context beyond the EFL classroom seems to present very few opportunities for students to engage with authentic target language. Furthermore, educational culture and other related learning conditions, such as class size, teacher-student relationship, assessment practices, linguistic homogeneity and other factors, may dissuade even motivated students from making frequent and active use of English. Active learning of English, like computer science, requires frequent opportunities for practice.
Our symposium has been designed and organized to begin a conversation at the University of Aizu on developing a learning environment that takes into account intercultural competence, new assessment techniques, authentic conversation, and other considerations that are intended to propel English language learning outside of the classroom and into the wider university and community environment. Our speakers will consider learning opportunities—such as study abroad and internships, cultural competence, globalization, assessment, and technological support in elaborating our theme of Language Learning beyond the EFL Classroom. Please see the event website for full details.
Organization: ACM Chapter on E-learning and Technical Communication
Cost: no charge; 1000 yen covers lunch and fees
Venue: UBIC 3D Theatre, University of Aizu, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima Prefecture
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact ACM Chapter on E-learning and Technical Communication
Email QR Code:
This event is co-sponsored by: