Pragmatics and Language Education Workshop
Date: Saturday, March 7th, 2015 Time: 9:00 AM - 5:40 PM
Speaker: Noriko Ishihara (Hosei U.), Seiji Fukazawa (Hiroshima U.), Ryota Nagata (Hiroshima U.), Michiko Kasuya (University of Hyogo), Mayu Konakahara (Waseda U.), and Yoko Nogami (Matsuyama U.)
Without cultural knowledge, language learners may not fully understand the meaning of a message in an L2. Even with perfect grammar, they could completely offend their conversational partners without using language appropriately. This workshop focuses on these sociocultural aspects of language learning to stimulate teachers' creativity for effective pragmatics instruction. For those of us who've never been able to attend the annual CARLA summer workshop at the University of Minnesota, this will give a taste of what we've been missing!
In addition to the workshop sessions, there will be presentations relating to pragmatics and English and/or Japanese language teaching, to communication strategies and pragmatic language choices in English as a lingua franca, and to critical discourse analysis. See the event flyer (PDF) for more info and to preregister.
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: (for 2 days) 4,000 yen; JALT student members 2,000 yen
Non-members: (for 2 days) 7,000 yen; (full-time) students: 4,000 yen
Venue: Aster Plaza (map)
Location: Hiroshima City, Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code:
This event is co-sponsored by: