Teaching the Question of Culture
Date: Saturday, March 14th, 2015 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Brett Hack (Aichi Prefectural University)
Language education at Japanese universities has shifted towards cultivating a “global” mindset. This includes cultural instruction. However, set images of a “target culture” carry the risk of reinforcing a stereotyped worldview. This presentation will investigate how language classes can nurture a more reflexive understanding of culture – and language – as always in process, always in question, and always open to invention.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (first time free)
Venue: JR Gifu Station Heartful Square 2F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 058-246-3744
Phone (work): 052-781-4734