Workshop on Extensive Reading
Date: Sunday, April 12th, 2015 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Rob Waring (Notre Dame Seishin University)
This workshop will first discuss the need for Extensive Reading (ER) in all language programs regardless of students' age or ability. Next we will discuss various types of ER programs and clarify what ER is and isn't. Finally, we will discuss what types of ER teachers are using in Tottori, or are planning to use, and try to optimise each program. Extensive Reading means students read very easy, enjoyable books to build their reading speed and fluency. And, they read a lot. This means that students learn to read by actually reading rather than following the traditional method of intensive reading which involves studying the vocabulary, grammar and phrases of a text. ER gives students chances to read longer pieces of reading, which they choose themselves, and can read at their own speed and at their own ability level.
Dr. Rob Waring is a Professor at Notre Dame Seishin University in Okayama. He is an acknowledged expert in Extensive Reading and second language vocabulary acquisition.
Organization: Tottori Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Tottori JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Tottori University Tottori Campus
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Tottori JALT
Email QR Code: