Double Presentation: (1) Inspire or perspire? Getting students speaking; (2) Facebook Groups: Facilitating L2 Interaction Outside of the Classroom
Date: Sunday, June 21st, 2015 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Andrew Boon (Toyo Gakuen University)
Sponsored by Cengage Learning.
(1) Inspire or perspire? Getting students speaking
This presentation will introduce the audience to a number of strategies that can help break the silence in the Japanese classroom and get students engaging in meaningful communication. Audience members will be asked to try out a number of tried and tested speaking activities and also be encouraged to share their ideas for getting students talking to one another in the L2. Inspire is a listening and speaking course with additional content reading designed to create a richer speaking experience. The spectacular National Geographic photos and video provide enduring images that inspire learners to discover the world in all its brilliance.
(2) Facebook Groups: Facilitating L2 Interaction Outside of the Classroom
Social networking sites are potentially useful tools for managing classrooms and fostering target-language interaction among classmates. The presenters will describe how they used Facebook groups with 2nd-year English for Academic Purposes classes over three different school years at a Japanese university to encourage L2 interaction outside of the 2 90-minute lessons per week. The presenters will describe setting up the group, the various homework tasks that were assigned, and how the students used the group. Examples of students? posts will be shown to highlight the potential pedagogical advantages Facebook may offer. Finally, results of a questionnaire to discover student opinions of using Facebook to support their learning will be included. Participants will be able to ask questions and will be encouraged to share their own experiences as well.
Organization: Iwate Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Iwate JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: AIINA Rm 602 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Iwate JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 019-662-8816
Phone (work): 019-663-3132
Email QR Code: