Translator Ginny Tapley Takemori: On Whales, Blue Glass, War and Young People
Date: Saturday, June 20th, 2015 Time: 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Speaker: Ginny Tapley Takemori
Translator Ginny Tapley Takemori will discuss two children's books she translated from Japanese into English, both of which are due out from Pushkin Children's Books this year: The Whale That Fell In Love With a Submarine by Akiyuki Nosaka and The Secret of the Blue Glass by Tomiko Inui. Both titles explore sobering themes of war, suffering and loss though intriguing characters: a whale who courts a military submarine, a mother who becomes a kite, a family of Little People who sleep in cigarette boxes and craft their shoes out of book jackets. Takemori will describe how she came to translate the two books and discuss some specific translation issues that she grappled with in the process.
Organization: The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Japan (SCBWI)
Cost: SCBWI Members: 800 yen
Non-members: 1,200 yen
Venue: Tokyo Women's Plaza, Conference Room 2, 5-53-67 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo (near the United Nations University)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 0467-31-6908