Investigating the world outside: Students and Teachers as Researchers
Date: Saturday, December 5th, 2015 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Andy Boon
1) Students as Researchers
Project work can be a powerful means of empowering students to take their learning beyond the borders of the classroom, to examine the world outside, to seek answers, and suggest change. This workshop will examine the process of engaging students in semester-long projects from equipping them with the necessary research tools to having them deliver the end-product via various media in the final class. It will also describe students? reactions to the overall learning experience
2) Teachers as Researchers
Our teaching context is the pedagogic world we inhabit and seek to understand. However, in the hectic activity of teaching, opportunities to gain valuable insights into our practice can be lost. Action research offers us a ?self-reflective, systematic? approach to exploring our teaching in order to bring about positive change (Burns, 2010). This workshop provides an overview of the presenter?s AR projects to date and encourages participants to plan their own classroom investigations. There will be a year-end party after the meeting.
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: free (sponsored by OUP)
Venue: Dejima Koryu Kaikan (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: