Creativity: East & West, Inside & Outside the Box
Date: Saturday, March 19th, 2016 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Cameron Smith (Aichi Gakuin University)
Everyone knows that creativity is a Good Thing: Governments want more of it in schools, and teachers want more of it in classrooms. Yet the educational champions of creativity frequently leave its meaning undefined, often deliberately so. This presentation argues that doing so can open the door to prejudice, intercultural clashes and frustration, particularly for western teachers in East Asian classrooms. It looks at the fascinating history of the idea of creativity in the west and at the origins of prejudice about East Asian creativity. Using the field of creativity research, it seeks to provide a broad, inclusive and empowering framework within which we understand and exploit creative processes for the benefit of our students.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (first time free)
Venue: JR Gifu Station, Heartful Square 2F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 058-246-3744
Phone (work): 052-781-4734