SCBWI Japan Picture Book Day: Venturing Into Picture Books
Date: Sunday, March 13th, 2016 Time: 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Yolanda Scott (Editorial Director, Charlesbridge) (via Skype) and Satoshi Mitamura (Author and Illustrator)
- 9:15-9:30 Registration with Coffee and Tea
- 9:30-10:00 Picture Book Warm-Up Exercise
- 10:00-11:00 Yolanda Scott (via Skype), The Whole Book Approach: How Learning Basic Elements of Book Design and Production Can Enhance Your Stories, Build Rapport with Editors and Art Directors, and Spice Up Your School Visits
In a world of rapid digital change, the picture book is a powerful reminder of why traditional bookmaking matters. There's something important in a book's very physicality and the way it brings together adults and children in a shared reading experience. This session teaches proper picture-book terminology and will help you become comfortable discussing a book's visual elements such as trim size, orientation, jacket, cover, and endpapers as you come to understand how these components enhance, underscore, and otherwise interact with the text. You'll learn how to speak the same language as publishing professionals as well as discover an exciting, interactive new alternative to traditional story time: The Whole Book Approach. There will be a Q&A during the Skype with questions collected from registered participants and pre-sent to Yolanda Scott.
- 11:15-12:15 Picture Book Study the Whole Book Way
In groups, participants will divide into small groups to be assigned one of the main facets of book production then will delve into a focused exploration on a particular picture book. Groups will then share their findings in a large group discussion.
- 12:15-1:15 Lunch: Bring your own bento or walk to a café in the Motomachi area.
- 1:30-3:00 Inside Picture Books with Author/Illustrator Satoshi Mitamura
Join author/illustrator Satoshi Kitamura for an insider's view on picture book creation. Satoshi will use kamishibai storytelling methods and live drawing to get everyone sketching. Participants will then join in with some on-the-spot...cave "painting."
- 3:00-3:15 Book Signing with Satoshi Mitamura
Note: Books will not be available at the event; please purchase your books in advance at a bookshop or through your favorite online bookseller and bring your books to the event.
- 3:15-3:45 Zany Plots and Wild Ideas
Generating picture book stories with ludicrous and not-so-ludicrous speed prompts. Be prepared to stretch your imagination.
- 3:45-4:00 Closing Thoughts and Questions to Explore
Organization: The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Japan (SCBWI)
Cost: SCBWI Members: 3,000 yen
Non-members: 4,000 yen
Venue: Yokohama International School, Pauli Building Loft (for access info and maps visit www.yis.ac.jp)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 0467-31-6908