Lesson study: a Japanese Model of Professional Development and Learning Community
Date: Friday, April 1st, 2016 Time: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Kanako N. Kusanagi (Tokyo University)
Lesson study, a Japanese model for professional development, has been attracting international attention for the past two decades as an alternative approach to professional development from the western individualized model. In lesson study, "teachers collaboratively plan, observe, and analyze actual classroom lessons, drawing implications both for the design of specific lessons and for teaching and learning more broadly" (Lewis, Perry, Hurd, & O'Connell, 2006, p. 273). In this presentation, Kusanagi will explain lesson study within the contexts of Japanese schooling, especially focusing on how teachers work with one another and with students.
Organization: Tokyo Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Tokyo JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: NYU School of Professional Studies American Language Institute Tokyo Center (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Tokyo JALT
Email QR Code: