Behavioural Economics for Your Classroom
Date: Sunday, April 17th, 2016 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Arthur Rutson-Griffiths (Hiroshima Bunko Women's University)
Behavioural economics is the study of how psychological, social, cognitive, and emotional factors affect decision making. Despite its name, many of the findings uncovered in this emerging field have many practical benefits in the classroom. Just a few small changes and additions to everyday classroom activities can increase students' extrinsic motivation and engagement with the target language. This presentation will cover a number of findings from behavioural economics research, while relating each one to a number of techniques and tips the presenter has used and that teachers can use in the classroom to motivate their students. The ideas introduced can be used with students of any age and in almost any classroom context. The audience will be invited to share their own ideas and tips and to think of how they can incorporate some of the motivational techniques introduced into their current classroom routines.
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: International Conference Center, Hiroshima Peace Park
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: