Theory in second language educational research
Date: Saturday, October 14th, 2017 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Julia Kimura (universities in Kansai)
Although second language acquisition is a relatively young discipline, it has been informed by quite a number of theories. In recent history, new theories which have been introduced to the field include Chomsky’s universal grammar, Krashen’s input hypothesis, and Swain’s output hypothesis. In this talk, we will begin by brainstorming theories in second language education that members of the audience are familiar with. Then, I will provide a very general overview of common theories in second language acquisition research that I am familiar with. Next, we will discuss how theory can influence the decisions we make in our teaching and how existing theories can inform new ones. Then I will introduce a social theory of learning that informs my dissertation research on female foreign language teachers in Japan. Finally, I will open the floor to questions and discussion.
Organization: Niigata Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Niigata JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 500 yen
Venue: Tokimeito. On the second floor of Plaka 1, outside the south side of Niigata station
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Niigata JALT
Email QR Code: