Easing the Burden of Recordkeeping
Date: Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Soren Leaver (Kyushu Sangyo University)
Please note that Fukuoka JALT is trying a completely new location this month, Namiki Square in Chihaya (map).
- From Tenjin, it's a 12 minute subway ride to Kaizuka, followed by 3 minute Nishitetsu to Chihaya
- From Hakata, even easier: 11 minutes on the local train to Chihaya (3rd stop)
In addition to lesson planning and instruction, teachers often spend a considerable amount of time maintaining student records. The bulk of this recordkeeping relates to assessment, and requires precision and attention to detail. Without a solid grasp of the technological resources available, this process can become repetitive, time consuming, and draining.
This presentation will introduce features of Microsoft Excel and Google Docs that have the potential to ease burdensome aspects of recordkeeping. In the first part of the presentation, the presenter will show how to create a fully automated gradebook in Excel using relative and absolute cell references. In the second part, he will show how Google Docs can be used, in concert with learners' smartphones, to collect, correct, and analyze answers from quizzes. Participants are encouraged to bring laptops or tablets to the presentation for the sake of shadowing the presenter.
Biography: Soren Leaver is originally from Berkeley, California, and has been living in Japan for the past decade. He has taught at various high schools and universities in Fukuoka and is currently a lecturer at Kyushu Sangyo University.
NEW After-meeting Social:
20:30-22:00, at Hakata Ichiban dori
Party Plan Set menu (10 items) for 2,000yen (RSVP by noon Sunday 4/16 to : Miho Tani: fukuokajaltsocial(AT)gmail(DOT)com). There's an optional Nomihoudai for 1,300 yen more. Other cheaper nomihoudai options without beer or alcohol. (drink options can be decided on the night; all prices tax included).
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Namiki Square, Chihaya (west exit of Chihaya Station on the JR or Nishitetsu line) map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: