(1) Writing for Fluency or Accuracy: Catch 22? (2) Instruction-giving: Effective Procedural Instructions
Date: Saturday, May 13th, 2017 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Andy Boon (Cengage)
1. Writing for Fluency or Accuracy: Catch 22?
Often in an EFL writing class, we face a catch-22 situation. If students focus on accuracy, they may write very little. If they focus on fluency, they may write a lot, but with many mistakes. This presentation will describe a new writing coursebook that blends extensive writing and noticing tasks to encourage students to get writing first and focus on accuracy later. It will also provide a number of practical activities for the writing classroom.
2. Instruction-giving: Effective Procedural Instructions
Providing students with effective procedural instructions is important for facilitating understanding and encouraging successful learning outcomes in our classes. This presentation examines the communication process between teacher and students during instruction-giving and describes a number of classroom instances where miscommunication took place. After analyzing the nature of these misunderstandings, different methods of issuing task directions in lessons are suggested.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (first time free)
Venue: JR Gifu Station Heartful Square 2F
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 058-246-3744
Phone (work): 052-781-4734