Who Owns English? Exploring Linguistic Ideologies in High School Textbooks
Date: Sunday, May 21st, 2017 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Rob McGregor. Hiroshima Motomachi Municipal Senior High School
While sentence-level ideologies may be readily engaged in the classroom, those manifesting across an entire curriculum are often less apparent. Presenting the results of a corpus-driven study, the presenter will examine discourse on first and second language use in high school textbooks. Discourses on linguistic and cultural ownership within the examined texts will be explored, and the presenter will demonstrate corpus-based techniques to allow educators to better assess the ideologies present within their classrooms
Organization: Hiroshima Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Hiroshima JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: International Conference Center Hiroshima (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Hiroshima JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: