Two Presentations: (1) Social Change in Textbook Contents; (2) Evaluating and Modifying Exercises
Date: Saturday, June 22nd, 2002 Time: 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Speaker: Bill Pellowe, Kinki University
In the first half of today's event, Pellowe illustrates trends in textbooks' social content (such as racial and gender inclusion, deliberate thwarting of stereotypes, and the disappearance of religion and vices such as smoking and alcohol) through a case study of such changes in one textbook over three editions (1978, 1983, 1994). In the second half, Pellowe discusses textbook exercises within an historical and theoretical framework, focusing on textbook examples of (potentially misleading) exercises, and finishing with practical ideas for assessing and modifying textbook exercises.
Organization: Nagasaki Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagasaki JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Kotsu Sangyou Center, Nagasaki Bus Terminal Building, 4F, Volunteer Center
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagasaki JALT
Email QR Code: