Money 101: Personal Finance, Investing, and Retirement for Residents of Japan
Date: Saturday, September 9th, 2017 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Ben Shearon
Many teachers in Japan would like to get their finances in order, but aren't quite sure where to start. This exposes them to three big potential dangers: not doing anything, doing the wrong thing, and being taken advantage of by "advisors" or financial institutions. This workshop will cover basic aspects of personal finance and investing, as well as specific investing and retirement options for residents of Japan. A reading list of websites and recommended books will also be provided. Come with questions, and leave with information and a road map of where to find answers. Putting your financial affairs in order is like planting a tree: the best time to do it was twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
Bio: Ben Shearon is an English teacher based in Sendai, Japan. He is passionate about extensive reading and personal finance. Ben runs the teaching blog sendaiben.org and the personal finance site retirejapan.info.
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: TM Building 3F, Ogakura-ku Muromachi 2-11-4 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: