Temple University Japan:
Learning Grammar through Writing: Practice and Theory
Date: Saturday, January 20th, 2018 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Natsuko Shintani (Kobe Gakuin University, Japan)
Two general dimensions of second language (L2) writing are "learning-to-write", where L2 learners learn language to express themselves appropriately in writing, and writing-to-learn", in which engagement with L2 writing contributes to the development of language knowledge. The focus of this seminar is the latter - how writing activities can develop learners' knowledge of English. The seminar particularly examines how writing activities can develop learners' grammatical knowledge of English by focusing on two major approaches: metalinguistic explanation and written corrective feedback used in a writing activity. I will introduce various strategies to provide metalinguistic explanation and corrective feedback. I will also examine the results of research that has investigated the effects of each strategy. The seminar will conclude with guidance on the use of grammar instruction in second language writing.
Organization: Temple University Japan
Venue: TUJ Osaka Campus Osaka Ekimae Bldg. 3, 21st Floor, 1-1-3-2100 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0001 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Temple University Japan
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 03-5441-9800