Date: Saturday, March 3rd, 2018 Time: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Speaker: Nobue Inoue, Brian R. Southwick
The Japanese government has in recent years placed increasing emphasis on an active model of learning, as distinct from the conventional passive paradigm, at the primary, secondary, and tertiary level. In classrooms informed by active design, teachers are facilitators rather than dispensers of knowledge, while students are discoverers or creators of meaning as opposed to empty vessels. The active classroom incorporates presentations, role-plays, discussions and debates and minimizes lectures. The rationale for the shift is simple: students in the active classroom acquire a sense of ownership over their learning and thus heightened levels of academic motivation. Our presentation will describe active learning projects undertaken in English language classes in the Faculty of Tourism Management at Niigata University of Management and discuss the feedback we have received from students.
Organization: Nagano Chapter (formerly the Shinshu Chapter) of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Nagano JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Toigo Centre, Level 3, Room 5, Nagano City (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Nagano JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: