Ancestor Lessons - Sharing Personal Histories In The Classroom
Date: Saturday, May 26th, 2018 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Ben Backwell, Nagoya City University
In this experiential presentation, participants will experience the core activities of two university classes on the topic of ancestors. In class, students first explore the topic of ancestors with a short poem entitled "I've Known Rivers" by the American poet Langston Hughes. Students as researchers then interview and explore their grandparents' and great grandparents' personal histories in the form of a homework writing task to then share in the next class. Applying group structures such as The Way of Council used by Native Americans, the ultimate purpose of these activities is to practice English and build a better understanding of intergenerational connection in order to gather knowledge and wisdom from the past to apply today. This presentation will be absorbing for all participants and is best suited for Junior/Senior High school and university level teachers.
Organization: Gifu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Gifu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (free for students)
Venue: JR Gifu Station Heartful Square 2F
Location: Gifu City, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Add this to iCal
Add to Outlook
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Gifu JALT
Email QR Code: