ETJ East Tokyo:
ETJ Chiba Workshop: Speaking Exercises for a Variety of Ages and Levels
Date: Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Terry Yearley (Saitama University)
In this two-hour workshop, I will share a range of speaking activities which can be used to improve grammar, vocabulary, and listening/speaking fluency. Generally, these exercises are suitable for use with students of Junior High School level and above. I have selected these exercises not only because they promote learning, but also because students usually enjoy doing them. The first hour will be devoted to a simple exercise which I devised to improve student question formation. A little bit of teacher preparation is required the first time you use it, but on the second and subsequent occasions, it is very time efficient. Students use two-sided cards to prompt the formation of Yes/No and Wh- questions. This exercise can be used to supplement any text that your students are studying. In the second hour we will look at some photocopiable resources which I have personally found very useful. We will consider the authors' intended uses for these resources, and how the teacher may be able to expand on those ideas. We will do as many practical demonstrations as we have time for. All attendees will receive copies of all these resources, and the relevant instructions.
Bio Terry Yearley is from England, and has been teaching EFL at various schools in the Tokyo area since 2001. His qualifications include a first-class honours degree in Linguistics with TEFL, and an MA TESOL. He has been an active member of ETJ since 2005, and is currently the programme officer for the Tokyo Expo. He advocates the principle of 'pushed output' whereby a little bit of stress helps promote student learning. Consequently, many of the exercises that he employs maximise student talking time (STT) and minimise teacher talking time (TTT).
Organization: ETJ East Tokyo (English Teachers in Japan) (ETJ East Tokyo)
Cost: ETJ Members: 500 yen
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: 9F, Kameido Camellia Plaza Access: 2 min walk from Kameido Station on Sobu Line or Tobu Kameido Line, 2-19-1 Kameido, Koto-ku, Tokyo Phone: 03-5626-2121 Location: Tokyo, Tokyo Metropolis, Japan
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact ETJ East Tokyo
Email QR Code:
Phone (home): 043-251-0027