Reading in the Classroom
Date: Saturday, November 17th, 2018 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: ETJ Fukuoka Committee
Most English teachers would agree that reading is an important aspect of learning English. Some educators, such as Dr. Stephen Krashen, would argue that it is the most important skill on the path to fluency. Let's discuss this topic, and how you incorporate reading into your classroom. Topics for thought and discussion (feel free to bring your own, too!):
- How important is reading in the language classroom?
- For young learners, do you read to or with your students? What type of reading activities do you do?
- Would you agree with Krashen, who says, "Free voluntary reading may be the most powerful tool we have in language education." (Krashen, Explorations in Language Acquisition and Use, 2003)
- What are the precursors to teaching reading? Phonics, sight words, etc.
- For adult students, what type of reading do you assign your students, or do in the classroom?
- Have you noticed a correlation between reading and language acquisition in your students, or own studies?
Organization: ETJ Fukuoka (English Teachers in Japan) (ETJ Fukuoka)
Cost: ETJ Members: 500 yen
Non-members: 1,000 yen (free membership available at Reception)
Venue: Seinan Gakuin University Community Center (near Nishijin Subway Station, map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact ETJ Fukuoka
Email QR Code: