Designing EFL Materials that Work
Date: Saturday, May 25th, 2019 Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Speaker: Barbara Hoskins Sakamoto
Let’s Go has the distinction of being the first EFL course book series for children, and of remaining one of the world’s best-selling course books through five editions for nearly 30 years. As co-author, Barbara has seen trends come and go in materials design for young learners, but some fundamentals have withstood the test of time. She will talk about these in terms of guidelines that can help teachers create effective EFL materials, whether for learners in their own classes or for learners in classrooms around the world. Participants will then apply these guidelines in turning content into coursebook pages. Barbara will bring material for participants to work with, but if you have a coursebook you’d like to analyze and perhaps improve based on the guidelines we explore, please bring it along with you to this session. The principles covered will apply to materials for all levels of learners.
Barbara Hoskins Sakamoto holds a US English teaching license and an MATESOL, and has taught Language Arts, ESL, and EFL. Barbara is co-author of one of the world’s best-selling textbook series for children learning English, Let's Go (Oxford University Press), co-author of the online course, English for Teachers (International Teacher Development Institute), and author of the chapter, "The role of technology in early years language education", in Early Years Second Language Education (Routledge, 2015). She is an English Language Specialist with the United States State Department, and is Course Director for International Teacher Development Institute (iTDi.pro). Barbara has been invited to give keynote and plenary talks at a number of international conferences, and has conducted teacher training workshops in Asia, Europe, and the Americas. She has conducts courses and teacher training online. Her webinars are always popular with teachers around the world.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: TBA but probably Tenjin, Fukuoka City: Kurume University Satellite Campus (ELGALA building, next to Daimaru, room 601-2 map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: