Okayama JALT January 2019 Meeting: It's Not Just about Ganbaru: Avoiding the False Growth Mindset in the Japanese EFL Classroom
Date: Saturday, January 19th, 2019 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Adrian Leis
In this presentation, I will discuss fixed and growth mindsets (Dweck, 2006), and how they can affect the attitudes of language learners, especially those in Japan. While concentrating on metacognition and ways to avoid a false growth mindset, I will suggest various simple ideas for language teachers to create a classroom atmosphere in which students understand the benefits of taking calculated risks in language learning. This presentation will be interactive, and participants will be expected to share their experiences, opinions, and ideas on a variety of topics. (This event is co-sponsored by Hiroshima JALT)
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1000 yen
Venue: Okayama Kenritsu Library, Circle Activities Room 2 (2nd Fl)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code:
This event is co-sponsored by: