ETJ East Tokyo:
Developing Why-Because Mentality by Reading Newspaper Articles
Date: Sunday, March 17th, 2019 Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Toshio Jo
This presentation is made up of two parts. In the first part, the speaker will explain why English-language learners can develop logical and critical thinking by practicing journalistic writing. Using some newspaper articles, the speaker will explain basic elements of journalistic writing style.
In the second part, which is titled "Connotation and Denotation," the speaker will touch upon difficulties with cross-cultural communication, sharing some examples of common miscommunications in conversations.
Bio: A journalist. A reporter for The Japan Times (1980-1991). A reporter and editor for the International News Section at The Asahi Shimbun since 1991. Covered a wide range of areas such as business, politics and diplomatic affairs.
Please email to Yuco Kikuchi and pre-register.
Organization: ETJ East Tokyo (English Teachers in Japan) (ETJ East Tokyo)
Cost: ETJ Members: 500 yen
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Kameido Camellia Plaza, Seminar Room, 5F, 2-min walk from Kameido Station (Sobu or Tobu Kameido Line), 2-19-1 Kameido, Koto-ku, Tokyo 136-0071 map
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact ETJ East Tokyo
Email QR Code:
Mobile phone: 070-6400-6464