Designing EFL Materials that Work
Date: Saturday, May 11th, 2019 Time: 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Speaker: Barbara Hoskins Sakamoto
Let's Go has the distinction of being the first EFL course book series for children, and of remaining one of the world's best-selling course books through five editions for nearly 30 years. As co-author, Barbara has seen trends come and go in materials design for young learners, but some fundamentals have withstood the test of time. She will talk about these in terms of guidelines that can help teachers create effective EFL materials, whether for learners in their own classes or for learners in classrooms around the world. Participants will then apply these guidelines in turning content into coursebook pages. Barbara will bring material for participants to work with, but if you have a coursebook you'd like to analyze and perhaps improve based on the guidelines we explore, please bring it along with you to this session. The principles covered will apply to materials for all levels of learners.
Organization: Kitakyushu Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kitakyushu JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Ogura TM (Teramoto) Building (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kitakyushu JALT
Email QR Code: