(1) The CEFR and the Companion Volume; (2) Implementation of the CEFR at a Japanese University
Date: Saturday, October 26th, 2019 Time: 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: (1) Monika Szirmai; (2) Tim Wilson
The first part of our presentation will provide background information about the creation of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, teaching, assessment (2001), and The Companion Volume (2018). The presenter will talk about the original aims, the underlying philosophy, and possible problems and misunderstandings when implementing a curriculum based on the CEFR. The presenter will also draw on personal experiences, and will use short video clips for emphasizing expert opinions. Both publications can be downloaded for free from the addresses below. It is recommended to have a quick look at these publications before the presentation.
The second part of the presentation demonstrates how the CEFR has been implemented in a new curriculum at Hiroshima Jogakuin University as part of a new Basic English language-learning program called Step-Up English (SUE), which runs parallel to the CEFR scale (A1-A2). It explores how by using CEFR in practice offers a goal-oriented, performance-based approach to language teaching with a clear set of learning objectives and can-do statements, the idea of which is to make learning more measured and effective for students.
Organization: Okayama Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Okayama JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen
Venue: Notre Dame Seishin University 630ND Tower Building (https://www.ndsu.ac.jp/life/campus_map.html)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Okayama JALT
Email QR Code: