Developing Learner Agency using Ready-made Mind Maps
Date: Sunday, October 27th, 2019 Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Speaker: Rob Morrain (Language Learning Centers Europe)
Featured JALT2019 speaker Ron Morrain currently lives and works in Germany where he is co-founder and Director of Studies at the Language Learning Centers Europe. He is the innovator of the concept Ready-made Mind Maps, which facilitate task-based learning (TBL), project-based learning (PBL), content and language integrated learning (CLIL), and content-based instruction (CBI) for L2 and L1 learners.
It is important for teachers to apply many different methods and approaches in a L2 learning experience in order to support Learner Agency. Additionally, developing a tool kit of methods and approaches is important to a teacher's self-development. Learners profit when a teacher can create a well-balanced TPACK strategy. These things go hand-in-hand in any learning cycle.
Ready-made Mind Maps (RMMS), together with a well-planned TBL / PBL learning cycle, are only a few of the many alternatives available to teachers in today's modern classroom as an alternative to course books. As learners advance in their language knowledge, course books may not appeal to them anymore. Why? Many intermediate to advanced learners have problems dealing with the pre-determined outcomes, senseless grammar exercises, and lack of creativity that many course books present. That can demotivate any learner.
Teachers need to stimulate the L2 learning process by creating a collaborative and meaningful learning experience. The use of RMMs supports group learning and also helps to facilitate the integration of technology into the classroom. RMMs also create that positive L2 learning experience learners need to stay focused, motivated, and creative.
Creativity is something that motivates any learner and teacher as well. When using RMMS as a roadmap to any learning cycle, learners and teachers get the opportunity to grow and develop together in the L2 learning process. TBL and PBL, together with RMMs as the guide, may be that combination you have been looking for to enhance your teaching-learning context.
Ideal participants are:
- Director of Studies and School Managers
- Experienced EFL teachers Freelance EFL Corporate Trainers
- New EFL teachers (Secondary, High school, or University)
School Owners Participants will be able to:
- Assess their learners' TBL and PBL products
- Balance their TPACK for further self-development
- Create a meaningful learning experience for their learners
- Develop their in-class TBL and PBL teaching / learning approach
- Integrate 21st Century skills training into their L2 classroom
- Work with Ready-made Mind Maps in their classroom
Organization: Sendai Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Sendai JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Sendai-shi Shogai Gakushu Shien Center, Seminar Room 2 (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Sendai JALT
Email QR Code:
Email QR Code: