Kyoto JALT: Member Spotlight
Date: Saturday, August 29th, 2020 Time: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Speaker: Curtis Kelly, Amanda Gillis-Furutaka
This is a monthly event that features a Kyoto JALT member and afterward, everyone is welcome to just hang out and have a few drinks. This might be a fun way to get your presentation out AND keep up with your colleagues and friends. We are welcoming proposals at any time and will negotiate with the prospective speaker about a suitable month. Submit your proposals here: forms.gle/eXaHigiUoeupoHSx9
Teaching with Zoom: Advice from the Brain
Through fMRI research, Matthew Lieberman discovered a large network in our brain devoted to figuring out other people's thoughts and intentions: the mentalizing network. This social brain also causes learning and is active anytime the working memory network, which we use for fact learning, is not. Lieberman calls it our Superpower, but he also defines our Kryptonite: traditional education, where we tend to see the social aspect of learning as a frivolity, or ignore it altogether. For designing superior online classes, synchronous or not, the social brain has much to teach us, including the reasons for "Zoom fatigue."
Organization: Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Kyoto JALT)
Venue: Online; see the Kyoto JALT website for details
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Kyoto JALT
Email QR Code: