Fluency Awareness as a Way to Increase Speaking Ability in a First-Year College Level English Class
Date: Saturday, June 19th, 2021 Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Jenifer Larson-Hall
Most Japanese college students have spent quite a bit of time studying English grammar and decoding reading but are sorely lacking in fluency in speaking and reading. In this talk I will focus on the issue of fluency as a way of increasing English proficiency and specifically discuss a study I conducted at Fukuoka Jo Gakuin with students in a year-long first-year English class. I tested their fluency before and at the end of the course. The typical student improved by 20 or 30 words and perhaps more importantly, their awareness of the issue of fluency was raised by the testing and by weekly activities in class. The techniques used in class for increasing fluency were to incorporate a speaking test after each 2-3 week topic, making an increase in speaking fluency a portion of their grade, listening to native speakers talk about each topic before they talked themselves, and practicing talking on the same topic with multiple partners in a speaking line. Advantages and drawbacks to the technique I used in class will be discussed.
Organization: Fukuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Fukuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: 500 yen
Venue: Online: The Zoom link will be posted on the Fukuoka JALT website the day before
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Fukuoka JALT
Email QR Code: