Temple University Japan:
Vocabulary Research in ESP: Raising Issues and Connecting to Practice
Date: Saturday, October 16th, 2021 Time: 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Speaker: Averil Coxhead (Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand)
The pre sign-up (or course registration for those who are taking this seminar for credit)is required for anybody attending the public session on Saturday, October 16 from 10:00 to 13:00. The sign-up process must be completed through "Distinguished Lecturer Series Seminar Sign-Up Form" that is available on TUJ Grad Ed website. The sign-up deadline is Friday, October 15 at 12:00. The public session Zoom link will be provided to those people who completed the online sign-up (or course registration) process between 17:00-18:00 on Friday, October 15. Remaining Sessions after the public session are scheduled for October 17, 23, 24 (10:00-13:00 JST) and require a fee of 13,000 yen for the guest auditors. The payment information for auditors will be provided separately.
The focus of lecture series is firstly on identifying and discussing issues in quantitative and qualitative research into vocabulary in English for Specific Purposes (ESP) and secondly on connecting this research to practice. The session begins with an overview of vocabulary research in ESP and why vocabulary is important in this field. The focus then moves to research on the development of word lists and the evaluating them in ESP, because they are a key contribution to teaching, learning and research. The next session looks into research which uses word lists and what issues arise when we consider vocabulary in written and spoken language in ESP. Next, we will look at research that focuses on teachers and learners in vocabulary for ESP, and consider what this research adds to our understandings of the field and what issues arise from it. Finally, we will look for opportunities and challenges for connecting this research to classrooms and to future possible research. There will be plenty of time for questions.
Organization: Temple University Japan
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Temple University Japan
Email QR Code:
Phone (work): 03-5441-9800