Navigating Challenges and Embracing Innovations in the AI Era
Date: Saturday, April 15th, 2023 Time: 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Speaker: Louise Ohashi (Gakushuin University)
Artificial intelligence (AI) is having a greater impact on language education year by year, and this trend will continue whether teachers are ready for it or not. Machine translation is becoming more accurate and the latest game changer, ChatGPT, produces complex text that follows human commands at a speed nobody can rival. Widespread accessibility of such tools has created both concern and excitement in the teaching community. This session looks at the impact of AI on language education from multiple perspectives. Firstly, potential problems it can cause will be identified and possible strategies for overcoming them will be offered. Next, affordances that AI can offer will be explored. There will be a lecture followed by a workshop, so please bring a digital device if you would like to try some of the online activities that will be introduced. Note: Wifi may be unavailable onsite, but online tasks can be done on a smartphone or a tethered device.
Organization: Shizuoka Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching (Shizuoka JALT)
Cost: JALT Members: free
Non-members: 1,000 yen (500 yen for students)
Venue: Azalea Shizuoka Gender Equality Center あざれア / 静岡県男女共同参画センター (map)
You can add this event to your iCal calendar.
- Click on the iCal icon. Your iCal software will start.
- Click 'Subscribe':
- Under 'Auto Refresh', select 'Every day' in case the the basic details change:
You can add this event to your Microsoft Outlook calendar.
- Click on the MS Outlook icon.
- See what happens.
- Tell us what happens. I don't have MS Outlook on a Windows computer, so I can't test it.
- If you click on the icon and nothing happens, do this:
- Right-click on the icon and save the file.
- According to Microsoft's support page, in Outlook's File menu, you should click Import and Export.
- Click to select Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (*.vcs), and then click Next.
- Click to select the vCalendar file you've just saved, and then click Open.
Contact Shizuoka JALT
Email QR Code: